What happened in Balliol this week?
- Bruce’s Brunch is back! Bruce’s Brunch is a weekly event held in the sitting room of Bruce, the Wellbeing and Welfare Officer. Each week there is a different speaker, and free food for everyone who attends (including sandwiches, snacks, salad, fruit, biscuits, and Bruce’s speciality – homemade vegan flapjack).
- Tampon Avalanche! This is an event run by the Women’s Officers, who give out free sanitary items to Balliol women at the beginning of each term. At Balliol, we don’t believe that these are ‘luxury’ items.
- Rounders match! There was a very casual rounders match played against a team from New College – we lost, but it was great fun.
- Charity quiz! Leon Kidd ran a quiz in the Lindsay Bar, which was hugely popular with students and raised over £200 for the charity Amicus-ALJ.
- Netball cuppers! The Balliol women’s netball team played in an inter college tournament on Saturday morning, and won three of their five matches.
- May Day! In Oxford, the beginning of May is a really big event. At 6am on May 1st, a choir sings from the top of Magdalen Tower. Students usually spend the night celebrating before making their way to watch the choir in the early hours of the morning, and then spend most of the following day recovering and sleeping.
- Rugby cuppers! The Balliol rugby team won their semi final match against St Peters to go through to the Plate Final, which will be played in a few weeks’ time.